Friday, May 29, 2020

AncestryDNA has won me over

If you've seen my other posts, I am not, in general, a fan of Ancestry.com . It's complicated. But recently I submitted DNA to Ancestry and currently am thrilled with some of its features.

 Like Don't Like Same as other matching services
 Lots of potential matches Specific chromosome information hidden Many matches don't respond to queries
 5 generation trees (for those who have created them)
List of surnames through 10 generations
Difficult to export match information for analysis or tracking in third party software
 Common Ancestors (if you have submitted a tree, may show relationship between you and match, possibly passing through several other trees) Lots of hooks to get me to subscribe to their (I think) expensive records service
Many shareable family trees Must be a subscriber to easily view trees, pictures, documents, etc.
 Easy to set me up to manage DNA kits submitted by others


I do recognize that the items I "Don't Like" are features that make sense from Ancestry's point of view, usually protecting privacy of members' data, and allowing Ancestry to build a "gated community" that requires paid access, and to generate the revenue they need for their enormous infrastructure and stores of genealogy records. As a long time genealogy researcher who has seen the disappearance of public, collaborative research, I can still "Don't Like" them.

No comments:

Post a Comment