Friday, August 23, 2019

Downloading Ancestry matches

Just a quick note. I have been using Genome Mate Pro to track my research and progress in DNA genealogy. It allows me to take notes on my quick and dirty research, it displays chromosome segments of my DNA matches for comparison, it allows me to screen out the smallest and largest segments for clarity, and it allows me to easily see who among my matches I've connected to my tree and what the status is of my research into others. GMP imports match data from a csv file. Many DNA matching services allow you to download a csv file of match data. You can import them all into GMP so that you can review information from many different services in one place, on your home computer.

Already this note is unlikely to be quick ...

AncestryDNA does not allow you to download match data. As the most popular of the services, they no doubt want you to do all of your work through their service. Third parties have developed software that will log in to Ancestry (with your help) and automatically browse through the match list and gather the essential data, as if you were doing it yourself, then export the data to a csv file that you can use, for example, with GMP.

Now the quick part ...

One of the more popular tools for this has been a Chrome extension called Ancestry DNA Helper. I have been unable to get it to work for me. I haven't seen an announcement, but did see some messages related to RIP as of July 1, so I'm guessing that this software is no longer an option.

I searched for another free program, saw some recommendations for DNA Match Manager, installed it and tried it out, and it did nothing but report a problem. As instructed, I simplified the download task, with no better result, then followed their link to submit a log file to get help troubleshooting the problem, but the link just opens an empty box. So that was a bust.

So I'm still searching. It would be convenient to be able to see my Ancestry progress along side my work from MyHeritage and 23andMe, all in one place.

No comments:

Post a Comment